Slow Cooked Hoisin Pork Wraps with Peanut Slaw and Homemade Hoisin Sauce



Thank you thank you Molly Delmonte for sharing this amazing recipe! This is seriously one of my all time fav recipes! The slaw definatly topped it off and would not make it without it. I made my own tortilla recipe, you can type in tortilla on my blog and it will bring up the recipe. I also made my own hoisin sauce, it is too easy not too and so much tastier than a bottled jar. This recipe makes a lot so you could certainly cut the recipe in half if you dont have a large crowd like I did when I made this.

Slow Cooked Hoisin Pork Wraps

6 lbs pork butt, trimmed of thick fat
salt and pepper
6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed (I roughly chopped mine)
1 large piece of fresh ginger, about 5 inches long
1 bottle of hoisin sauce (12-15 oz) or make your own, see recipe below*

Rub the trimmed pork shoulder/butt all over with salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Put in the slow cooker. Add smashed/chopped garlic, tucking them around the pork. Peel and grate the ginger and put in too. Pour the hoisin sauce over everything. Cover and cook on low for about 10 hours.
 When finished and tender, use two large forks to shred the meat and mix it with the sauce.

To serve:
Place the hoisin soaked meat onto a warmed tortilla and top with peanut slaw. EnJOY!

Crunchy Peanut Slaw:

1 medium head of green cabbage, out leaves and core removed
1 1/2 cups roasted, unsalted peanuts (I roughly chopped mine)
1 bunch green onions
1 cup chopped cilantro
salt and pepper

Dressing:

1/2 cup light oil, like canola (I used a little less)
3 Tblsp rice vinegar
1 Tblsp sugar
1 Tblsp sesame oil
1 tsp soy ssauce

Shred cabbage very finely. The fineness of the shredded cabbage is really what makes this salad. You want it in thin threads and bite size lengths. Toss with the peanuts in a large bowl. Chop the green onion and cilantro and toss into slaw.
Whisk the dressing until emulsified, then taaste and edjust to your own preferences of sweetness and saltiness. Toss in with the cabbage.

Homemade Hoisin Sauce 
(I doubled this sauce recipe for my hoisin meat)

4 Tblsp soy sauce
2 Tblsp peanut butter or black bean paste (I used peanut butter)
1 Tblsp honey
2 tsp rice vinegar
1/8 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp sesame oil
10 drops suracha sauce or a chinese hot sauce (recipe called for 20 drops but I used less)
1/8 tsp black pepper

Mix all ingredients together and whisk for a minute or two until the peanut butter mostly blends in.