Cucumber and Avacado Rolls


This recipe looked too good not to try. Why can't healthy be tasty and fun?! I found this recipe on williams-sonoma.com but I hated the sauce recipe their website used so I made a different one I had made from a different recipe I made a few months ago. I also added cooked shrimp to my rolls. I just cooked my shrimp in a little olive oil and sprinkled with salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin. Dont be intimidated with using the rice papers if youve never used them before, they are very easy to make.

Cucumber and Avacado Rolls

2 avacados
20 rice paper rounds
Green lettuce leaves
Basil leaves
Mint leaves (I left these out)
Cilantro (I added this, not original to the recipe)
2 carrots, coarsely shredded
1/2 english cucumber, cut into thin strips

Halve, pit and peel the avacados and then cut them into 1/2 inch slices.
Place a wide, shallow bowl of warm water (NOT HOT) on a work surface. Lay a clean kitchen towel next to the bowl. Dip 1 rice paper round into the water for a few seconds to soften (dont let it get mushy). Then lay it flat on the towel. Dip a second round into the water and let it soften, then lay it directly ontop of the first rice paper. Place a small piece of lettuce in the center, put basil and cilantro on top. Layer on the carrots, cucumber, carrots. If using shrimp, add on top in center. Carefully roll up, bottom and top flap first, then one side folded over and rolled tightly. Dont over fill. Using a sharp knife, slice in half on an angle. Serve with a sauce. Eat immediately. EnJOY!

Dipping Sauce:

2 tsp curry powder
pinch of red pepper flakes
2 Tblsp honey
2 tsp rice vinegar
2 oranges, zested and juiced

Toast the curry and red pepper flakes in a small saucepan over medium heat, about 1 minute. Add honey, vinegar and orange juice and zest. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is heated through, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat, set aside until ready to eat dinner.